Winter Sump Pump Care
Your sump pump removes water that causes basement flooding, water damage, mold, and mildew. As with all the plumbing in your home, water makes your sump pump vulnerable to plummeting winter temperatures. A sudden chill or a cold spell can freeze standing water in your sump pit, rupture your discharge line connection, or damage your pump.
Winter temperatures can be hard on your sump pump. With proper care, you can keep it operating efficiently.
Begin with proper placement
When you install your pump, angle the external discharge line and connecting hose down and away from your home. An angled placement naturally keeps water flowing instead of allowing it to stand in place. When you eliminate standing water problems, you reduce your freezing risk.
As the temperature drops, regularly inspect your sump pump and discharge lines. If you notice a freezing problem, you can stop it during the early stages.
Insulate or remove the connecting hose
The hose that connects to your outside discharge line is your sump pump’s biggest wintertime problem. It’s often exposed to cold weather and can easily freeze when the temperature falls. The simple way to avoid this is to remove the hose before the temperature drops. If you’d prefer not to remove the hose, try covering it with pipe insulation tape or another insulating product.
Thaw the ice
Ice in your hose or sump pit can damage your pump when it begins operating. If any part of your sump pump system freezes, turn off the power and allow the ice to melt. Make sure there’s no ice in the hose or icy water in the pit before you attempt to reactivate your pump.
A sump pump alarm
Regular inspections help you detect sump pump freezing problems. If you prefer an easier solution, install a water alarm. Alarms detect rising water levels and can remind you to make sure your sump pump is ice-free and operating properly. Some units provide Wi-fi-enabled notifications.
Contact Q’s Plumbing and Heating
If you need to know more about sump pump maintenance, repair, or installation, call us at 869.501.6006 or complete our contact form. Let us know if you have a heating or plumbing emergency that requires our immediate attention.
- Good service and price.nick w
- Very knowledgeable & very reasonable. Very personable as well. Will def call again!!!Heather Harrison-Rouillard
- They did an amazing job!!!!!Anthony Florenzano
- They did an excellent job! Highly recommend them for your plumbing needs!Anthony Florenzano
- They did an amazing job on responding to my emergency issues and taking care of preventative maintenance on the boilers in both my rental units and my homes.Andrew Kidd
- Great service!Diane Zemko
- Very fast, friendly, and his crew was amazing and very thorough explaining everything as repair was being made. Highly recommend!!!CALEB CLARK
- Thank you guys, job well done!Charlotte Jacques
- Excellent communication and service. Would highly recommend.Ken Rosa
- These guys are great! Definitely recommend! Great service and great prices!Diane Zemko
- They were Professional and Courteous at all times. Affordable and worked well while dealing with the insurance company.Thomas Ecklid
- Overall, I was highly satisfied.JillDavid Bauer
- Our waterpump went out this morning and they acted quickly and efficiently to put a new one in, having water back within just a few hours.Marissa Fontaine
- Honest, knowledgeable and professional! I called around to get price quotes for a furnace clean..Joe Mackinnon
- Without a doubt - Best Plumber around!!! Quick emergency service and spot ON with the quoting. Reasonable pricing too.David Joslin
- Q’s plumbing did an amazing job on our new gas boiler install. We converted from oil and the whole process seemed overwhelming.Amy Costello Florenzano
- Absolutely awesome overall experience! Great professional work team!Chrissy Remiesiewicz
- Top notch customer service and rates are very reasonable. Mark installed our system and we have been using him ever since.C Baker
- Can't say enough about the owner, Marc, and the excellent work his employees did at my house. I will recommend him over and over.Avery Marsh
- They are GreatKathy Nehrbass
- Competitive fees as well as highly experienced services makes them unbelievable. A+ Business!Jae Bradburd
- Very professional and easy to work with. Job well done.Jeff Woodworth
- They completed the job fast and were super friendly.Amber Sterling
- A quick response to my call, very good serviceGabriel Crawley
- Very good service. Did not try to rip me off. Very reasonable.Bridgette O'Lone
- They answered all my questions/concerns and worked with me to resolve a unique problem I had. I will be contacting them first in the future.eric bookmiller
- Mark and his guys are great. I was renovating a house in Manchester, CT and he was recommended by my lender.Paul Rosenbeck
- I would HIGHLY recommend them!Lisa Adams
- Amazing service, very friendly staff, and extremely efficient with the work. Excellent pricing and a pleasurable experience all-around!chelsea teague
- Needed someone to install a new toilet and Marc was quick and efficient!! My mom isn't good at English but he was very patient with her.Angela Chen
- On point, reliable, and super knowledgeable! Awesome experienceJessye Leonard
- Fast, reliable,honest, and very personable staffSamantha Healy
- Outstanding knowledge and skills.Todd Tooley
- I recommend Q's, Mark is fast, friendly, honest and affordable! Thank you Mark!Lori Okoney-Brown
Our Service Area:
Q’s Plumbing & Heating, LLC of Uncasville, CT proudly services clients within New County, Connecticut. These towns and cities include:
Lyme, Stonington, Old Lyme, Stonington, Salem, North Stonington, Bozrah, Wateford, Ledyard, East Lyme, Colchester, Lebanon, Lisbon, Voluntown, Franklin, Sprague, Groton, Griswold, Groton City, Montville, Norwich, Jewett City, New London, Pawcatuck, Mystic, Old Mystic, and more.